Wilshere: I asked Scholes to explain his criticism

The England man got in contact with the ex-Manchester United star and admits he agrees with the veteran's assessment of stalling progression and must "build" on his potential

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has revealed that he tracked down Paul Scholes to have a "chat" with the former Manchester United ace after he slammed the 22-year-old’s lack of development.

Scholes had been on punditry duty when, in the process of criticising Arsenal, he laid into Wilshere, saying he "did not look any better a player now than when he was 17".

The barbed remark touched a nerve with the young England international, who got in touch with the Old Trafford legend via former team-mate Gary Neville, and Scholes explained his comments in greater detail – with Wilshere begrudgingly agreeing that it is time to deliver on his potential.

"It was a bit strange – out of the blue," the Arsenal playmaker told reporters ahead of the club's FA Cup final. "I remember watching it, he was having a go at Arsenal, and I was thinking: 'Is he going to come for me?'

"If it had come from a rubbish player I could say: 'What are you talking about?' But it came from Paul Scholes! For me he was the best English midfielder of all time.

"For the next few days after he said that I sat down and talked to my dad and a few of the coaches here. I respect him so much and I think he can make a great coach for any young player. I'm a young player and he's been there and done it so I wanted to hear what he had to say.

"You live in a world of football where you get criticised all the time. It hurt a bit more when he did it. But in the game today everyone is improving all the time, it’s getting quicker. I just wanted to know what he thought.

"I DMed Gary to ask whether I could have his number. Gary Neville wrote back to me: 'Just go easy on him.' We had quite a good chat. He’s entitled to his opinion.

"He explained it a bit better and told me what he thought I should work on. He was right in a certain way. When I first burst on to the scene there was all this 'blah, blah, blah' [excited chatter about him] and then I got injured.

"I’ve had bad luck with injuries but I can’t keep saying I’ve been injured a lot. There comes a time when you stop being a kid and I think that’s what he’s referring to.

'He’s young, he’s got all this potential, you have to start putting that potential in [to practise]. This season I’ve improved a lot, scored a few more than I have in the past [five in 42] and got a few more assists. You can keep the ball and you can look good but it’s those stats that matter. That’s what I have to build on.’’

Comments