Giggs: If I had left Manchester United I would be finished by now

The Welshman says he is lucky to have stayed at
one club for his entire career and is keen to
continue playing for the foreseeable future as he
celebrates his 40th birthday

Ryan Giggs says he would not still be playing
football if he had left Manchester United, as he
celebrates his 40th birthday.

The Welshman made his debut for the Red Devils
as a 17-year-old against Everton in 1991 and has
gone on to make 953 appearances for United.

Giggs was in action again on Wednesday,
impressing as United routed Bayer Leverkusen 5-0
in the Champions League and says staying at Old
Trafford has been key to his longevity.

"If I’d moved from club to club I’d be finished by
now," he told the North Wales Daily Post .

"I’m lucky that I have been at one club, where I
am surrounded by good players. I also have a
good manager.

"I look after myself and try to train every day in
order to make myself available for selection. I
enjoy it as much as I can and, of course, try to
contribute to the team."

The 40-year-old is out of contract at the end of the
season, but says he is still keen to continue
playing and is not yet thinking of retirement.

"It can be hard sometimes but I am still enjoying
it. As long as that is the case I will carry on,” he
added.

"I don’t know what the younger lads think of me.

When I was 17 and 18 I thought 31 was ancient.
Here I am at 40.

"It is a pleasure to play alongside someone like
Phil Jones.

He does my running for me. All I do is
try and control it all."

Comments