Furious Terim learned of Galatasaray sacking through media

The new Turkey boss claims he has "never seen
anything like this situation in my life" after TV
reports informed him he had been fired after a
routine training session
Former Galatasaray coach Fatih Terim has
expressed his anger and amazement after
revealing he learned of his sacking through the
media after a routine training session.

The 60-year-old was dismissed from his post at
the end of September after a dismal start to the
campaign, while his decision to take charge of the
Turkey national team also caused friction with
president Unal Aysal.

Terim has now explained that he learned of the
decision via TV reports in his own office at the
club, and made it clear there was a "serious
communication problem" with Aysal.

"I learned that I'd been fired through the media in
my room, shortly after training," he told reporters.
"I've never seen anything like this situation in my
life.

"I hope nobody has such a bad experience with
Galatasaray after me.

"I always prefer to talk about my troubles with
Unal Aysal face to face, but when I did this, it was
leaked out to the media everytime. We had serious
communication problems, I accept it that.

"If Aysal had a problem with me we could have sat
down and discussed the situation like adults.

"Aysal could have told me it was best that
Galatasaray change manager, I would have
understood, wished him all the best, packed by
bags and left."

Galatasaray's official line stated that Terim was
sacked as a result of his refusal to sign a two-
year contract extension, but the Adana-born coach
insists that was not the case.

"Aysal informed me that he wanted to make
changes to the personnel on the board and that he
wanted to continue working with me," Terim said.

"We agreed to speak after the presidential
elections. However, following the elections, the
matter was not brought up once.
"Following the decision to take over as Turkish
national team interim manager, something Aysal
himself sanctioned, Galatasaray's official website
released a statement that I had signed a contract
with the national team.

"The site later changed the statement but by that
time they were after any excuse to get rid of me."

Terim now says his focus is on doing his utmost
for the national side, but hinted he would consider
a return to Galatasaray in future having been part
of the club for the best part of 40 years.

"My aim now is to make Turkey proud of the
national team again," he added.

"I will never turn
my back on Galatasaray, I will never forget the
supporters and I can put my hand on my heart and
say I tried my best for the club.

"I hope I have served Galatasaray well over the
past 40 years. Who knows, I may even return one
day."

Comments