Chelsea defender Azpilicueta aiming to overtake Arsenal

The 24-year-old full-back believes that Jose
Mourinho's side are improving as a team, and has
targeted Saturday's clash with Newcastle as a
chance to leapfrog the Gunners
Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta has set his
sights on overtaking Arsenal at the top of the
Premier League this weekend and believes the
Blues are improving with every game.

The versatile full-back was an unlikely hero for the
Stamford Bridge outfit in Tuesday’s Capital One
Cup clash against Arsenal, scoring the opening
goal of the game and helping his side run out
comfortable 2-0 winners at the Emirates Stadium.

Mourinho’s men have won six games in a row, and
with Arsenal facing tough tests against Liverpool
and Manchester United in the coming weeks, the
Spanish full-back sees Chelsea's lunchtime clash
with Newcastle as the perfect opportunity to top
the table.

"We have the chance to overtake them this
weekend, although we know how hard it will be at
Newcastle,” the 24-year-old told The Mirror .

"But it is true that Arsenal have two really difficult
games: Liverpool and then Manchester United. We
don't need to look to the other teams, but to keep
working. We are improving in every game, and this
is the most important.

"I think we are growing up as a team. We are
second, two points behind Arsenal but we are
going to try to be the first."

Featuring only intermittently under Mourinho so far
this season, the Spain international was buoyed by
his manager’s comments in last Sunday’s
programme notes, in which the 50-year-old
praised the full-back for his work-ethic and
commitment.

"I saw what he wrote, and I feel really good about
it. I feel this confidence from him because when he
needs me I try to do my best in every position.

"The most important for me is the team, and if he
needs me to play as a left-back, as a right winger,
I try to do my best and to do the job for the team.

"Last season, as well, I didn't start playing but by
the end I played practically every game.

This year
it is a different manager, who plays Ivanovic. But I
am training, very happy, and I feel confidence with
him.

"It's true that I am not playing a lot of games, but
the season is young. I had the chance to play two
League Cup games, I played against Schalke, so I
feel really confident with the team, with the
manager, and I am happy with the work that I am
doing.

"The season is very long, and we will need
everybody to win trophies."

Comments