'It's a challenge you have to relish' - Allen targets Liverpool recall

Joe Allen is determined to force his way back into
Liverpool's side but the midfielder knows he may
have to bide his time.

The Wales international came on as a late
substitute against West Brom last weekend after
two months on the sidelines with a hamstring
injury.

Allen is expected to be on the bench again at the
Emirates Stadium, but has vowed to do all he can
to earn a recall.

"It's a challenge you have to relish as a
professional footballer," he told the club's official
website.

"There's always competition and there's always
someone out for the same spot as you.

"It's been a great start to the season and we're
playing really well, so that makes the competition
even harder.

"The atmosphere is great. We're towards the top of
the table and that's where we want to be. We know
it's a massive competition up there and there are
some very strong clubs."

Allen understands Brendan Rodgers' decision to
slowly re-introduce him into the first-team squad,
and hopes to be afforded more minutes as he
looks to regain some match fitness.
The former Swansea man added: "I think when
you've had a little bit of a lay-off, you miss a little
bit of that sharpness and your match fitness is
obviously a little bit down, but I'm working on that
and I'm getting back to where I want to be.

"The idea is to get more minutes on the pitch. I've
just got to make sure I train hard and put my
name forward for selection as much as I can."

Comments